Elastomeric Railroad Products
Rail Boots, Rail Pads & Elastomeric Grout
Elastomeric rail products include rail boots, tie pads, and other rubber extruded products used by the railroad industry. These products are made from a variety of thermoplastic and elastomeric materials that are flexible, lightweight and have excellent shear and tensile strength. In railway applications, these materials help insulate components from electrical currents and reduce track system wear and tear caused by heavy loads and exposure to harsh environmental conditions.
All forms of rail transport require rail boots and tie pads to keep tracks in good operating condition and prevent damage from excessive heat and vibration. A few examples of transport where these products are used include:
- Subway Cars
- Commuter Rails
- Light Rails
- And other forms of train transport
Custom Tie Pads and Rail Boots from Experienced Rubber Extruders
Northwest Rubber Extruders offers a full line of high quality, high performance railroad equipment and supplies. We offer rail boots and rail pads that are extruded from durable elastomeric and thermoplastic materials and easy to install.
- Thermoplastics are high strength, lightweight and provide excellent wear resistance, impact resistant and chemical resistance. They perform well in rail applications because of their excellent flex fatigue, durability and resistance to creep and tearing.
- Elastomeric materials are rubber compounds that resist tearing and breaking and have excellent heat and chemical resistance. The flexibility, durability and insulative properties of elastomers makes them perfect for vibration dampening, electrical insulation and noise reduction.
Our product line also includes elastomeric grout specially formulated for demanding railroad construction conditions. Request a quote on the thermoplastic and elastomeric rail products you need, or contact us for more information.
Rail boots are used in embedded railway tracks to absorb vibration, reduce noise and provide electrical isolation between the rail and concrete roadway. Our rail boots are made from thermoplastic materials designed to meet the demanding needs of the railroad industry. Benefits of our thermoplastic rail boots include:
- Lowers the amount of noise generated by rail traffic.
- Dampens vibration that can lead to excessive maintenance costs.
- Reduces damage caused by road traffic and fasteners used to secure the boot to the rail.
- Designed with retaining clips to ensure a solid bond between the rail boot and surrounding materials.
- Designed for easy installation to reduce time and cost.
Crossing tie pads are placed between railroad ties and concrete to absorb weight and vibration that degrades concrete over time. Our railroad crossing tie pads are made from thermoplastic materials designed to meet the demands of high traffic railway systems. Thermoplastic extruded tie pads provide several benefits including:
- Increases life on concrete panels reducing replacement costs.
- Distributes the forces caused by projecting irregularities on the tops of the ties.
- Compensates for uneven ties.
- Protects the panel from repeated impact on the ties.
Designed to resist movement of the pads from their intended positions between the concrete
Under tie pads are installed at rail transition zones and other areas where tracks are more susceptible to excessive stress. Our under tie pads are made from specifically formulated elastomeric material to reduce the modulus of a track over a relatively stiff structure to a magnitude approximating the modulus of track over the terrain surrounding the structure. Advantages of installing under tie pads include:
- Decreases vibration.
- Reduces impacts that can dislodge cargo, damage railroad ties, railcar structures, such as wheels, and degrade railroad track.
- Lower installation costs –pads are molded into concrete tie.
- Reduces ballast breakdown and maintenance costs.
Elastomeric grout has electrical resistant properties and helps dampen vibration and reduce noise generated by railway systems. LRT is a two-component elastomeric rail grout formulated with fast setting, return to service, Polyurethane. The product is specifically designed for use in rail applications to fill the space between transportation rail structures and the adjacent concrete. The LRT provides electrical rail isolation while absorbing sonic and vibration attacks without cracking.